Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tater Tot Casserole


It's by no means new! It's not even pleasant to look at. No matter. The point is when you're starving it tastes dang good. Another thing I love about this humble dish is it's fast, it's easy, and it's pretty cheap. I'm a farmer's daughter and I always have lots of ground beef in the freezer. This dish is often the one I fall back on when I don't want to think about what to cook for dinner. Besides when you tell your grandkids you're having Tater Tot Casserole it immediately fools them into liking it.

Enjoy this old tried and true recipe.

The Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 oz.)
1 cup milk
1 pkg. tater tots (32 oz.) Use Orida, my favorite.
1 can of corn drained (15 oz.)
2 cups med. shredded cheddar cheese. I like to add a little shredded pepper jack too. Yum!

The How To's
Preheat the oven to 375. Brown your beef in a skillet with the chopped onions. Be sure to salt and pepper this. Fully cook and then drain off the grease. Add the soup and the milk to the mixture. I like to add a nice dollop of butter while it's hot and stir that in as well.  Now spray your 9 x13 baking dish with Pam. Never buy Walmart's Great Value cooking spray. It's worthless! Now spread your tater tots in the bottom of the dish.  I like to sprinkle more salt and pepper here too. Now sprinkle the corn over the tater tots. Sometimes I use frozen green beans instead. I love green beans! Now pour the meat mixture over that and top the whole dish with plenty of cheese. Cover it with foil and Bake for 35 min at 375. I wish I had a pan of it right now!

No comments: