Friday, January 27, 2012

Mom's Rice Pudding


If you don't like rice pudding, you're nuts! Don't add raisins to the recipe and I got nuts. You can't have rice pudding without raisins! It's unamerican! Can you tell I'm crazy about rice pudding with raisins? As a kid I use to beg my friends to give me their rice pudding on the days it was served at my elementary school. Good ole PC elementary served the best rice pudding ever.

My mom made yummy rice pudding all the time. I learned to love it and make it as a kid. If you don't have time to make it try Chuck A Rama and Deseret Book, they serve great rice pudding.

Trying this recipe today. :)

White Rice
Sugar
Whole Milk ( I like to use half and half)
2 Eggs
Corn Starch
Lemon Juice
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

Put 1/2 cup of uncooked white rice and 1 cup of water in a sauce pan. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 14 min. all water should be absorbed. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 Tb of corn starch, dash of salt, and 2 beaten eggs, and 2 & 1/2 cups of milk. Beat w/beaters. Add 1 Tb of lemon juice, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1 Tb of vanilla to the mixture. Add the rice. Mix and sprinkle with nutmeg & cinnamon. Put in a buttered 1 & 1/2 Qt. casserole dish. You will want to put the casserole dish inside another dish that contains some water. Bake about 1 & 1/2 hours.

Serve with a big fat dollop of whipping creme. OK, maybe two of three big fat dollops!

No comments: