Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Apples, Cranberries and Feta

I've been reading about blood sugar. I've been searching for foods to eat that don't immediately turn to sugar in your blood. Sugar creates belly fat. I'd like to get rid of some of that. While it's true I need to stop eating so much candy, the research I've been doing also targets foods that quickly turn to sugar, raising your blood sugar levels. 

I've been reading all about Quinoa - pronounced Keen Wah. Quinoa is officially a low glycemic food. Check out this article at Live Strong. I haven't made this salad yet but it sounded good and Craig, my son-in-law, gave me a bag of quinoa to try.  I'm on my way to the grocery store to load up. Try this. See what you think.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
  • 3 cups quinoa, cooked (about 1 cup uncooked)
  • 2 apples, peeled and cut in 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
  • 2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 6 green onions, diced or snipped, bulbs discarded
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, a fruity one
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • sea salt and fresh black pepper

Instructions
  1. In a small skillet over medium heat toast walnuts about 5 minutes stirring often. Remove and allow to cool. Add olive oil, 1/3 cup of the toasted walnuts and lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. In a large bowl combine quinoa, apples, cranberries, feta cheese, green onions and the remaining walnuts. Pour dressing over top and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Best eaten at room temperature.

Notes
-This is lightly dressed, if you like a lot of dressing double the recipe.
-Substitute a different cooked grain or couscous for the quinoa.
Thanks C.G.

No comments: