Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Best Pie Crust Recipe Ever!

I know I'm jumping the gun posting my pie crust recipe when it's just the first of September, but do to some requests I'm going to put this recipe on now verses waiting until November when the pie making really takes off.

First of all if you have any intentions of producing a simply magnificent pie then you will need to invest in a Bethany Pie Board. They're not cheap, but worth every single penny you will pay and you'll thank me after you've used it just once! You can find them on line. Just type in Bethany Pie Cloth and you'll be able to track one down.

My mother has a mid winter cobbler recipe that is mouth watering good. Gavin begs for it the second peaches come on. I've always hated making it though because the pie dough for this recipe is so temperamental. Well, not anymore. Now that I have my Bethany pie board the crust is a cinch! So get one today, you'll love it!

The Crowther women started our pie making day tradition so many years ago I can barely remember. I know Emy was still in high school so it's been a while since we've been seriously embedded in our yearly ritual of making pies for Thanksgiving. Every year we bake over twenty pies. It's crazy.

I learned how to make pie from Marie Loyd years ago when I decided to attend a Relief Society homemaking night. Wow, am I ever glad I didn't miss out on this night of instruction! Marie is the Brigham City Queen of pie making. She's made more pies than anyone can count. Thanks to her, our tradition began and we're twenty years strong now.

Over the years we have learned many a lesson the hard way, and now our pie making days are down right scientific. We've picked up quite a few little secrets here and there as we've attempted to strive for pure perfection. We've taken tips from anyone and everyone who has ever baked a fairly decent pie. We've gleaned hints from books, television, magazines, the Kitchen store on 25th street, Martha Stewart, John Dixon, and Marie Loyd, and meshed them all together. Someday the Crowther women are going to write a book on how to make the perfect pie!

The pie crust recipe featured here was given to us by the owner of the 25th street kitchen store, I can't remember what the name of that place is, but thanks to their advice the Crowther's were introduced to the best pie crust recipe ever and the Bethany Board. These two tips have been absolutely the best tips anyone has ever given us on making pie! Every girl in the Crowther Clan now owns a Bethany Board and we would never even think of trying out a different pie crust recipe!

So here's your INSTRUCTIONS to the best pie crust recipe ever!

CRUST
1 and 1/4 cups unbleached flour
2 Heaping Tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter
4 Tbsp Chilled Ice Water

You'll need a Bosh or a Kitchen aide to make this recipe work well. If you don't own a Bosh or a Kitchen aide, any man will allow you this extravagant purchase of either one of these fine machines when you bake him his first pie! One pie and he'll be asking you why you didn't buy one sooner!

Be sure to fluff your flour good before measuring it out. Then take 1 and 1/4 cups of unbleached flour. Do not pack it in the cup!!! Just scoop up the fluffy flour and tap it down with the back of a butter knife, not a packing motion but a tapping chopping motion. Then drag it off level with the back of the knife. If your dough turns out too stiff and not soft, you've packed your flour. Keep it fluffy! Marie Loyd says to always use 'unbleached flour' when making pies. I'm a believer. That's all I ever use now.

Place the flour in your Bosh.

Next add a pinch of salt and 2 generous heaping Tablespoons of sugar. (The generous and heaping part is my idea - hee hee - you can never have too much sugar!)

Get a small glass bowl and place a cup or so of water in it with lots of ice. Get the water good and chilled.

Start your mixer and begin thinly shaving 1/2 cup or 1 stick of unsalted butter fresh out of the fridge into the flour mixture until a nice course meal forms. Do not allow your butter to sit out and get soft before the shaving process. Pull it right out of the fridge and shave. Let your blender spin as you shave the butter in with a sharp knife. Like I said, it will start to look like course meal.

While the blender continues to mix and the mixture is looking well blended, add 4 Tablespoons of ice water, one tablespoon at a time into the churning mixture. Soon a ball will start to take shape and then you are ready to go. Turn your mixer off and pat the dough into a nice round ball. Place it in some saran wrap and place it in the fridge and chill well for no less than 30 min.

Remove the ball and roll out your dough on your Bethany Board. Be sure to lightly flour your board and keep it floured as you roll out your dough. Re-flour and turn your dough often.

We use one ball of dough for the top and one ball of dough for the bottom. If you roll your dough out carefully, the excess from both of these usually makes a third ball you can then use for another top or a bottom.

Remember: The dish you are making is only as good as the ingredients you use to make it with. I use top quality unsalted butter, usually Tillamook, and my ingredients are always fresh!

Happy Baking!

Side Note: How to care for you Bethany Cloth
I do not wash my Bethany cloth after making crusts every time. I take it outside and scrape all the excess flour with a flat spatula. I get all the excess flour off and clean it good and store it in my pantry. When the oil from the butter starts to build, that's when I wash it in scalding hot water. I wash it by hand with my Playtex plastic gloves on. Then I rinse it good and let it air dry.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I have never heard of the Bethany Pie Board! Do tell a bit more about it..i'm intrigued!
Is it easier to roll out dough?

Mother Bird said...

Don't be intrigued Katie, just go buy one. Trust me, easier is an understatement! If you buy your board and you don't absolutely love it, write to me, I'll buy it from you! Best investment I have ever made!

Becci said...

Oh mother bird, here I am looking to change up my pie crust recipe and find yours on Pintrest!! If it's half as amazing as you are, it will be wonderful!! Happy Thanksgiving:)