Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


These little goodies are divine! And you're going to want more than one!

2/3 cup granulated sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick (8 Tbsp.) butter, real butter, melted until browned and cooled.
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
2 Tbsp sugar

Now for the Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar whisked together with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a 12 mold, regular sized muffin tray with paper muffin liners, place the muffin pan on a baking sheet and set aside.  
In a large bowl, rub the granulated sugar with the lemon zest until the sugar is lightly colored and scented with lemon.  Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk (or sour cream) vanilla extract, melted butter and lemon juice.  
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together.  When almost thoroughly mixed, add the poppy seeds.  Divide batter between muffin cups.  Sprinkle each would be muffing with granulated sugar.  
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.  
Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.  If you’re freezing the cupcakes for future eating, skip the glaze.  It doesn’t freeze well.

2 comments:

Ticey said...

Hi Faye! This is Ticey. I think this muffins look so yummy and want to make them. I was reading over the recipe though and had a question. In the ingredients it says there is no baking soda, but in the instructions it says to add baking soda. So I guess I am wondering is there really suppose to be baking soda and if so how much? Thanks! I love recipes so I love lookin at your blog! Thanks again!

Woman With A Pen, A Camera, and A Stove said...

Hahaha Ticey, you're a good girl. Thank you!!! I'm a terrible typer! I often wonder what mistakes I make when I post a recipe. I'm so glad you caught this one. It's 1/4 tsp soda! Hey tell your mom to send me an invite to her blog. And the rest of you too if you have a blog. I like keeping track of you kids. Thanks again! I have some more recipe's coming, just need someone to clone me :) so I can have more time.