Monday, September 20, 2010

Plum Jam--- Don't Miss Out On This Fabulous Recipe!

I'm going to start this post by telling you about a girl who is near and dear to my heart. Val is just like a daughter to me and I think the world of her! Besides being the greatest person ever she is quite talented in the kitchen.
I can't take credit for finder her though. Kudos would have to go to Emilyn for that. She and Val were roommates back in college. She has been her friend ever since.
During those university years I sent my adopted son up to check out the girls in D4 and Brian immediately took a liking to Val! Soon he was a regular at the D4 apartment, then he married her and that's how she became my adopted daughter.
Val and Brian are always doing nice things for me. They are the greatest kids ever and they are so thoughtful. Last year they brought me over some jam. I've eaten a lot of jam in my life. But when my family cracked open a jar of this delicious jam we were all very surprised. It didn't take the jam long to disappear.  Immediately my kids started hammering me for more jam.
I kept telling Val, "You've got to teach me how to make that jam!" She took pity on the kids and kept bringing over one jar after another. She'd bring jars for birthdays and every time I ran out. I hate canning and I know how I feel about giving my canning away. It's a loving generous heart that gives their hard work away and Val kept doing just that.
I'm so excited this week she's going to show me how to make it. She even offered to can my jam for me. I love this girl! Who offers to can for someone else? Not me! I want to kiss her!


So prepare yourself, this jam is so good you want to spoon it right out of the jar! And it has a secret ingredient in it. You're going to love it.


It tastes divine on warm homemade bread or anything else you want to slather it on! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Plum Jam (Best made from Italian plums or there like.)

1 (6 oz) pkg. Jello (any flavor)
3-4 cups of sugar
4 cups prepared plums
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Prepare plums by slicing in half to remove the pits. Put plums in blender with skins. Blend until it starts to whirl. Put all ingredients in a big pan and mix. Cook to a slow boil for about 10 minutes. When the jam stays in between the tines of a fork after dipping it in the mixture, it is done. Put in canning jars with clean boiled lids. Hot water bath for 15 mins. (You can use any flavor of Jello. Try them all. Our favorites were grape, raspberry, and blackberry!)

1 comment:

valerie said...

Thanks Faye for your kind words! Of course I would can for you...I will forever be indebted to you...if it weren't for you I wouldn't have my wonderful hubby and beautiful kiddos!!!! Not to mention you have been like a mom to me, and I would do anything for my mom!