Saturday, February 4, 2012

Overnight, Slow Cooker, Apple and Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal


The other day I strolled into Kitchen Kneads. I went to buy raw peanuts but came home with much more. I am always looking for healthy ways of eating and as I was standing in the isle looking over all of the goods on the shelf, I over heard a lady talking all about the health benefits of steel cut oats. After she finished all of her selling points, I was surprised to find she was not an employee. On the contrary, she was just a customer raving about how much she loves steel cut oats.


Sold!


I walked over and picked up a bag and turned to this knowledgeable woman and asked her how to cook them. She whipped out three recipes and I was so excited to go home and try them. Here is the first.


Slow Cooker, Apple and Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal.


2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter


Step 1. Assemble the ingredients: apples, skim milk, steel-cut oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ground flaxseed, butter, nuts (optional.)


Step 2. Peel and core the apples; cut them into 1/2 inch pieces. You can leave the peel on for added fiber and nutrition. I don't care for the texture of cooked apple skin, so I peel mine; but that's a personal preference.


Step 3. Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray. Don't skip this step, or you will really regret it. You'


Step 4. Throw everything in the slow cooker. I have a 6-1/2 quart slow cooker, but 3-1/2 quarts is big enough for this recipe. I can double the recipe in my slow cooker when I'm feeding more than 4 or 5 people. 

Step 5. Stir it. Put on the lid. Set it to cook on low for 7 hours.

Step 6. Go to bed. Wake up to the sweet aroma of cinnamon and apples.ll need a hammer and chisel to get the slow cooker clean if it's not sprayed with oil first. 



Read here for the health properties of steel cut oats.

No comments: