Sunday, April 17, 2011

Vegetable Soup




Now, I don't know how many of you are home canners, personally I hate home canning, but I find myself doing it anyway, because no matter how hard I try I just can't duplicate the deliciousness of home canning. So, for those of you who engage in this messy business of putting up good food, you are going to love this recipe! This recipe is for the down to earth vigilant home canner. It comes from the kitchen of Kitty Call, but my cute little daughter's father-in-law is the one who passed it onto me. Yes he is a man who loves home canning. I know, clone him!

Home Canning: Vegetable Soup

1 pound pearled barley (soak 2hrs and cook)
1/2 Bushel tomatoes (scald, peel and cut. Cook in large kettle until they boil down and make their own juice.
2 large Onions cut fine.
1 large bunch of Celery diced.
2 green Peppers cut fine.
1 bunch of Parsley cut fine.
15-20 Carrots diced.

Cook vegetables together.

When done add:
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Salt
Add Vegetables to Tomatoes and Barley and mix.

Bring to a full rolling boil, let simmer for a few minutes. Bottle immediately and process the same time as tomatoes.

Makes 17 Quarts

PS, better make plenty, because it disappears in half of a heart beat!
Thanks Lynn :)

No comments: