Saturday, December 8, 2012

Nan's Gingerbread Cookies


I love Gingerbread cookies and my best friend gave me the greatest recipe. They are soft but not too soft, and the flavor is just right. They are so easy to make. Last night I made them for my Grandkiddie Christmas party and I let all the kids frost and decorate them. They were a HUGE HIT! All my girls raved about them and demanded I put the recipe on here pronto! So here ya go girls. Have fun with all your Christmas festivities!

The How To:

Mix together...
1 cup butter flavored Shortening
1 and 1/4 cup of Sugar
1 Egg

In a separate bowl mix

1 cup Molasses mixed with 2 tsp. Vinegar

Now add the Molasses mixture to the other wet ingredients

In a separate bowl mix well with a wire whisk the dry ingredients
5 fluffy cups of flour (do not pack the flour)
1 and 1/4 tsp Soda
1 tsp Salt
2-3 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Cloves
1 and 1/2 tsp Cinnamon

Now Combine all the ingredients together and mix well. I divide the dough into three nice balls. Then you have an easier time rolling them out.

Chill for 2 hours

After chilling, roll out about 1/8 inch thick and cut into your favorite shapes.

Bake 375 6 to 8 minutes. Just light brown

Important Hint: When you take the cookies out of the oven they are too soft to move. Let them sit on the pan on a rack and cool for a bit until they can be moved easily to a cooling rack.

Store in a tupperware to keep soft until decorating or eating.

This cookie freezes well. :)

Merry Christmas from all of us here at All Birds Baking :)

No comments: