Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookie On The Planet!



I don't know who Roxy R. Heslop was, but whoever she was, she passed on the best oatmeal cookie recipe I've ever tasted. The recipe was first featured in my small community's cookbook. Since that first book was published somewhere back in the forties, there have been two more editions. I was sad to find out Roxy's recipe somehow didn't make it in the last printing. Obviously the people who put together the newly updated cookbook never tried this recipe! My daughter was looking for it, discovered it was no where to be found in the third edition and immediately called me. After listening to her complain, she has since added the recipe to her book.

I have had more people ask me for this recipe than any other recipe I own. It's tried and true. It's the first cookie I ever learned how to bake and that was nearly 45 years ago, and I'm still making it today. It's the cookie of choice by all raisin lovers, and the only cookie my kids constantly call for and here they are grown and gone. If you love oatmeal and you love raisins, you will love this cookie!

I hate flat oatmeal raisin cookies! I like my oatmeal raisin cookie cakey and puffy! I'm just a cakey, puffy kind of girl! My kids tell me they will not eat anyone else's oatmeal raisin cookies, so I must have cakey, puffy kids as well.

Now just don't make the same mistake I made today....bake these lovely cookies with an empty milk carton in the fridge. :(  grrrrrrrrrrrr

Here's the how to:

Ingredients
4 cups Oatmeal
1 cup Shortening (I have used butter here, but I must admit, the shortening works better for reasons unbeknown to me.)
1 pound of Raisins? (How much is a pound of raisins anyway? I have read anywhere from two to three cups. I love Raisins, so I add three cups.)
Raisin liquid
2 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
4 Eggs beaten
1/4 tsp of Salt
2 tsp of Soda
2 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Nutmeg
4 Cups of Flour
Nuts are optional

Boil the raisins four to five minutes. Use enough water to cover and make at least a cup of two of liquid. After boiling the raisins, I let them set in the water till I mix the ingredients. Then I drain the raisins, saving the liquid and then set the liquid aside for when needed.

In a separate bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla and 1/2 cup raisin water. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, measure out 4 cups of Oatmeal, let stand.

In another separate bowl sift together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and soda. Sift well. I whisk it several times over to make sure the soda is mixed in well. Add Oatmeal and stir, toss and mix everything well.

Next add the wet mixture to the oatmeal flour mixture.

This will be very thick. You want to be careful not to thin this batter down too much with the raisin liquid. The thinner the batter the flatter the cookie and I like this cookie puffy! That's my most favorite thing about this cookie, it's NOT flat!

Add the raisin liquid now as needed, one Tbsp at a time, stirring well until it forms the right consistency. Like thick peanut butter maybe. I add the raisin liquid until the batter is mixable with my wooden spoon, but still forms a good ball. I don't use an electric mixer past creaming the liquid ingredients together. Once I add the flour and oatmeal mixture I mix by hand. You've got to have some muscle to stir it. Again, don't get it too smooth and thin.

Now add the raisins. Stir and mix them in well. Spoon out on greased cookie sheet, Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. I like my cookie moist so I cook it until it starts to form just a little bit of golden brown on it and the center is done. If you over cook this cookie it will be dry. Don't over cook it!

When you're done baking, crack out your cold milk. YUM (Store in air tight container. Don't worry, they won't last long!)

One last note, this recipe is not a good recipe to double. I know, I've tried several times. :/

No comments: